Marion's Reviews > Crossed

Crossed by Ally Condie

Nov 30, 11

bookshelves: dystopian, bookclub
Read from November 25 to 29, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

After reading "Matched" by Ally Condie I was immediately hooked and could not wait to pick up "Crossed" -- the second installment in the Matched Trilogy. I just had to know what was going to become of Cassia, Ky, and Xander and see how Condie was going to further evolve these characters, which I instantly grew to love. Sadly enough, while still a good read, "Crossed" disappointed and didn't accomplish much.

"Crossed" picks up where "Matched" left off and as a quick heads up to readers, if you don't remember much from the first book, you'll definitely need to reread it because there is a lot of reference to it and no recapping. Unlike the first book, "Crossed" is told through Cassia and Ky's point of view. At first I wasn't sure what to make of it, but as the book progressed I quickly saw the benefit of it and thoroughly enjoyed the alternate narratives. I liked being able to see what Ky was thinking and understand him on a more personal level. I grew to better understand his heartache over the loss of his home and family, as well as what pushed him to overcome those that stood to control him. In fact, I actually looked forward to reading his parts more than Cassia. Also, we were introduced to a few new characters and by the end of the book, you'll be rooting for them, too. I even rooted more for two of the new characters than I did for Cassia and Ky at times. It was also exciting to get into the Society's head a little more and understand what the real function of the pills were.

However, while I neither hated or loved the book, I definitely felt a little frustrated with it. Many times throughout the book it just felt like a filler for the final book and not a lot was going on. It was exciting for me to read the parts where Ky and Cassia were searching for one another and at one point I even squealed when they just missed each other, but once they did come together, it got kind of boring. I never felt like there was a climax in the story but that the characters were simply going through the motions of it all. We get more background on the Rising and the way each character feels about it, but that's about it. There's no real conflict or suspense throughout "Crossed." Even the ending was a letdown. All this time Cassia and Ky fought to be together throughout "Matched" and "Crossed" that when they finally got that chance, they didn't even bother fighting to stay together. Ky and Cassia were a little to cold toward one another and their situation at the end of the book for my liking. Also, Xander was pretty much a no-show in the book, so that was pretty disappointing!

Even though "Crossed" definitely wasn't at all what I expected, it is still worth reading. It served as a good informative filler, but I am hoping that the final book in the trilogy blows "Crossed" and "Matched" out the water. Cassia, Ky and Xander are amazing characters who deserve a great end to their stories and I believe Condie can accomplish that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crossed.