Kelly's Reviews > The Thirteenth Chime

The Thirteenth Chime by Emma  Michaels

May 21, 11

bookshelves: ebooks, young-adult, read-in-2011
Read from May 19 to 21, 2011

This is another book that I'm torn about how I feel about it. I really liked the idea behind it and I liked how the mystery of the clock was tied up but I wasn't invested in the story until David started uncovering answers and things turned sort of macabre. What can I say? I like creepy, bloody, dangerous things.

As far as the characters go (and I'm going to be a bit vague so I don't spoil anyone), I was expecting more of a connection between David and Destiny. They're relationship is complicated but it seems like they (and by that I mean mostly Destiny) blew hot and cold without provocation. Here's the thing, while it aggravated me a bit to read about, I totally get it. I get being able to see the best path to take with a person (be they a friend or otherwise) but being unable to take the final step one way or another. Indecision can be a bitch, can't it? So, while I was sometimes a bit surprised by the twists their relationship took and at times I found it a bit aggravating, I did think it rang true to life and I enjoyed it.

There were several questions I had that I'm not sure were answered (mostly along the lines of: how did the clock get where it ended up?) and I wouldn't have minded even more of a creep factor but seeing as I'm slightly obsessed with Zombies at the moment you can't hold that against me. Like I said, I really like the idea Emma Michaels had going on here, I just wish the entire book could have hit the level that the end did. As this is part of a series, I'm curious to see what direction book two will take and how the relationships will play out.

As an aside, I think this is a stunning cover. Easily one of the more striking ones I've seen lately.

-Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Thirteenth Chime.