Jarrah's Reviews > Sorcery & Cecelia: or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot

Sorcery & Cecelia by Patricia C. Wrede

Apr 17, 08

bookshelves: adult-specfic, epistolary, setting-england, historical-fantasy, adult-fiction, fantasy
Recommended to Jarrah by: Sarah Rees Brennan
Read in March, 2008

Historical romance fantasy. Kate has gone to London for her first Season; her cousin Cecilia has been kept home in the country, and expects to be dreadfully dull. Both girls, however, are in for far more excitement than is seemly, with run-ins with wicked enchanters, a handsome but ridiculously inept and bad-tempered spy, a mysterious Marquis, a beauty spell making the poor girl it belongs to dreadfully miserable; and of course the enchanted chocolate pot, which everything comes back to.

Oh wow. There should be so many more books like this. Light-hearted regency romance plus magic is like champagne plus extra bubbles. It's old school romance - nothing heavier than kissing - which makes it read rather like YA. Or like Georgette Heyer. The magic is of the mishaps variety, which can be tiresome when it's done badly, but is effervescent - bubbles again - when done with a light touch. And it's a book in letters, which fails so often, but here catches the voices of the two protagonists marvellously, and makes me love both of them and both their stories. I need this to be an established genre, seriously.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sorcery & Cecelia.

Alice Finally, another person who seems to love this book as much as I do. Many people don't seems to 'get' this. This is not a serious book, it's kind of absurd. And I love the format of writing, two authors taking a character each and mostly making up the story as they go along.

Jarrah Alice wrote: "Finally, another person who seems to love this book as much as I do.

I have no idea how it isn't better known and more widely loved. It hits so many of my buttons so beautifully :-)