H. Anne Stoj's Reviews > Till We Have Faces

Till We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis

Jun 01, 07

bookshelves: faerytales
Read in January, 2010

I have to say that when it comes to reading C. S. Lewis, I enjoy his non-fiction a bit more than his fiction. Style-wise, at least. Both are interesting, but his fiction always has a weird stiltedness to me. I couldn't say why that is exactly. Regardless of that, Till We Have Faces is up there for favorites of retold myths.

The story of Eros and Psyche is thought to be the forefather of stories like Beauty and the Beast (thus, Phantom of the Opera, so on and so forth). How true that is, I don't know. I'd imagine we could look across countless cultures and find similar stories dealing with similar topics. Whatever happens to be true, it's still and interesting story.

Yes, as it's C. S. Lewis, there's a good bit of Christ-mindedness going on. But, honestly, I don't think it gets in the way of anything. How do any of us deal with friends or family that believe in something that we don't? I think that's probably the crux the story. We can either accept it and respect the difference or mock it and thus them for their belief. As belief and faith are very personal things, I couldn't say that one way is better than the other. I only know what I would do and what I used to do and they're rather different at this point in my life.

Still, I think the story is beautifully crafted. It deals so well with jealousy, with not understanding, with what faith means to people and how it can appear. It shows struggle and rage and what love is and what one might think love is. What doing the right thing might be and what we sometimes tell ourselves it is. What motivates us into action and the lies we whisper to ourselves in justification.

A marvelous read on what it means to be human and what human failings are as well as wonders.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Till We Have Faces.