Gina's Reviews > Any Human Heart

Any Human Heart by William Boyd

Apr 03, 11

Let me add AHH to my rant about FREEDOM. Both these books were essentially downers and a waste of time. On the plus side, both authors write well blah, blah, blah; But what they write about and how they describe the societies their people inhabit is so depressing,one many as well drink
Draino. So, both books were left unfinished -- Freedom made it to the "throw at the wall" category and ANY HUMAN HEART ended where the wonderfully named character Logan Mountstewart, was back in London having no place in the world left to go and surviving on dog food. This novel began so well the description of Logan's childhood and school days. As he progressed or should I say regressed, he became a 20th C. Dorian Gray in reverse. He was hideous outside----no attic image needed.

What infuriates me most about Boyd's opus is that he had the temerity to quote Henry James in his title. At least he bowed to James' incisive knowledge and portrayal of the human heart with clarity, fidelity and hope. Nonetheless it's like putting a beautiful flower on the trash heap.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Any Human Heart.

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel What is the full quote from H. James, just out of curiosity? And from which novel?

Gina You know, I didn't want the book near me in the house, so I gave it to Gemma to give to Am
Vets. So I don't have the quote if ull or the work from which it comes. Maybe if we google it.

How are you? Did you weekend away. Patience and Iolanthe are going great.