Donna's Reviews > The Thin Man

The Thin Man by Dashiell Hammett

Apr 05, 11

bookshelves: mystery-and-crime, classics
Read from April 02 to 03, 2011

"This excitement has put us behind in our drinking."

Nick Charles had been a private detective, but he put that behind him after marrying his wealthy wife, Nora. That doesn’t stop him from being drawn in to a murder investigation targeting one of his old clients, an inventor who is suspected of killing his pretty young assistant. Nick and Nora gather information about the case while attending parties and flirting their way across New York, and some of the secrets they uncover reveal a surprising motive for the murder.

This book has a really unique feel. I loved the idea of Nick as a skilled but reluctant sleuth, staying in touch with everything while seeming above it all. I do wish that Nora had been a little more of a focus. She gets some really great moments, but they’re largely reflections of her husband. She shines when she’s reacting to what’s happened to him, when she’s impressing his acquaintances, or when she’s matching his wit. Their relationship makes for a fun read, though.

The mystery kept me guessing. It was detailed without being too bulky, and all the twists were so well plotted that they avoided feeling like filler. I liked this book a lot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Thin Man.