Clare's Reviews > Old School

Old School by Tobias Wolff

Feb 19, 08

Recommended for: Heather and Scott
Read in September, 2007

Wolff's tale leaves you wondering where the bio ends and fiction begins. Very fascinating and well-written. Having attended a competative boarding school myself, I strongly identify with this character, especially how he interacts with other kids - when I 1st arrived at school, I also feel I was in a different world. My peers dressed, talked & walked differently. The author's reaction to this is fascinating.

I also enjoyed the sections describing authors who came to the school to lecture. I wonder if Rand ever said such things to students. Again, where does reality meet imagination? I often wonder about the personalities of the authors whose books I've read & this book helps bring some of the wonderment to life.

If you get the opportunity to hear Wolff speak in person, go do it! After reading this, I attended Wolff's presentation at Ohio State Univ. & he is very smart and entertaining. Very engaging.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Old School.

Steve From what I've heard, Wolff is a great teacher, too. As well as he writes, I'm not surprised he'd be effective imparting finer points of the craft in the classroom.