Lucia's Reviews > Overprotected

Overprotected by Jennifer Laurens

Jun 20, 11

Read from June 18 to 20, 2011

Read the review at iLive, iLaugh, iLove Books.

When I first picked up this book, I kind of expected a fluffy, sweet, cotton candy-like book that was basically a secret romance between two lovers and then ends up with the father finally giving into true love, blah blah and blah. But it wasn't. There was so much more darkness. With suicide, divorce, kidnappings, and stalkers, this book is pretty much a teenager's nightmare.

The writing style was simple, but I was able to enjoy the book through Ashlyn's eyes. She was definitely relatable, and a likable character. I found myself wanting to scream in frustration along with her every time her parents pulled the we're-the-parents-and-therefore-we-decide-everything card. Don't you just hate it when they do that?

I found myself a little bored in the beginning, and also getting kind of annoyed at Ashlyn's actions. Sure, I have considerably more freedom than her, but I don't spend it by going to clubs and dancing. Then again, she was desperate and wanted her parents to notice her, and I understood that. I didn't quite get how she got over Colin so easily, though, since she claimed that she hated him but then suddenly didn't because she was strangely attracted to him.

Speaking of Colin, he was my favorite character. I enjoyed the chemistry between Colin and Ashlyn, even if they couldn't really be together. I thought it was awkward at first when it was just Ashlyn openly displaying her feelings, but we could assume that he just had more self-control. He was protective, sweet, and the perfect shelter for Ashlyn.

The ending of the novel had a lot of shockers. It was hit after hit, and you couldn't stop reading until you finished the last page. Overall, I really enjoyed this novel and believe fans of contemporary romance will enjoy it greatly. This is the first of Laurens' novels that I've read, and I can't wait to read what else she has in store for us.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Overprotected.

Quotes Lucia Liked

Jennifer Laurens
“Everything you need to know about love is already inside of you...”

Jennifer Laurens
“More than anything, I wanted someone to understand what was inside me.”

Jennifer Laurens
“I stood surrounded by everything, but in reality, i had very little.”

Jennifer Laurens
“Danicka asked where you were. I told her you and Colin were taking a long lunch eating- something she and her friends might want to take up since -clearly- Colin is a man, and men like meat, dogs like bones.”

Jennifer Laurens
“...His gaze seemed to say what I felt: looking at you eases everything inside of me.”

Comments (showing 1-5)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 5: by Mickey (new) - added it

Mickey Reed Would you like to participate in the upcoming blog tour of this novel?

Lucia Mickey wrote: "Would you like to participate in the upcoming blog tour of this novel?"

I would love to!!!

message 3: by Mickey (new) - added it

Mickey Reed Yay! Get in contact with @wefancybooks on twitter and she will fill you in!!! So excited to have you join!

Lucia Mickey wrote: "Yay! Get in contact with @wefancybooks on twitter and she will fill you in!!! So excited to have you join!"

Thank you so much for the info!

message 1: by Mickey (new) - added it

Mickey Reed No problem. Hope this works out!!