Nic's Reviews > Griffin Rising (Book One)

Griffin Rising (Book One) by Darby Karchut

Jun 19, 11

bookshelves: 2011, debut-2011, angels, review-copy, arc, read-in-2011
Read from June 09 to 16, 2011

Griffin Rising is quick and enjoyable read that is filled with plenty of laughs, action and adventure and heart warming moments.

Darby Karchut's writing style was easy to read despite the changing narration. It went from the present to past and also there was also journal entries from Griffin, Basil and occasionally Katie. The pacing flowed wonderfully and it is the type of book that you can just relax into. The plot is also had a good balance of paranormal and coming of age story. However sometimes I did lose a little interest when I put it down but I am not sure if that was was more of a case of me than the actual story. It felt younger than what I normally read and that was what I struggled with throughout the story.

Griffin and Basil are entertaining and endearing characters. I love their witty banter and their relationship was the highlight of the book for me.

“And what does your father do?” Man, even the dad’s good-looking, she thought.
“He’s an angel. So am I.” Griffin grinned. “Cool, huh?”
“Wh …what?”
“We’re a type of angel. My dad and I.” He straightened and flapped his arms up and down to illustrate his point.
Dropping a spring roll back into the sack, Basil reached over and pinned Griffin’s hands to his side, yanking him away from the door. “What the bloody he … heck are you doing?” he said under his breath. Smiling, he continued loudly, “my apologies. It’s only a silly family gag, miss. Please ignore him.” Basil elbowed Griffin further down the hall, trying to ignore his snickering. “Well, we’d best let you get back to work. Thank you.” He nodded good-bye and shut the door on the bewildered girl. Gathering up the bags in one hand, he turned with a scowl.
“Hey, it’s just a joke.” Still laughing, Griffin flapped his arms a few more times as he lead the way to the kitchen, the salty sweet aroma of chow mein wafting around them.
“Wave them again, and I’m duct-taping them together.”

There is also a tiny bit of young love in this story that was super sweet.

Overall, a good solid debut. Darby Karchut is definitely an author to watch out for.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Griffin Rising (Book One).

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nomes (new)

Nomes good job on this review Nic :) i find it hard to get into younger aimed YA stuff as well :D

message 2: by Nic (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nic Thanks Nomes. Even though the character was 16 he felt a lot younger. I am much more a fan of upper YA.

message 3: by Nomes (last edited Jun 19, 2011 04:37AM) (new)

Nomes you still wrote a good fair review.

i have a low tolerance for lower YA myself. and high school drama YA/mean girls stuff isnt' my scene either ...

(not that this book is that, but, getting off topic)

message 4: by Nic (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nic We always get off topic! Mean girl high school drama is my biggest dislike.

This book was drama free. It is definitely something I would recommend to younger readers :)

message 5: by Nomes (new)

Nomes i think that is why i struggled with BEFORE I FALL. even though there were some parts i definitely liked, other parts just really make me feel uncomfortable and yucky. also ~ the book felt so very american. and full of drama in general :/

Wendy Darling So very American, and full of drama.

Hah. That's us!

message 7: by Nic (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nic I really liked it but I read it when it first came out. I think my book taste has changed a lot in the last year after finding books I really love (eg Marchetta).

message 8: by Arlene (new)

Arlene I like the quote. That was funny. :) Glad you enjoyed Nic!

message 9: by Nic (new) - rated it 3 stars