Tara Chevrestt's Reviews > The Year We Were Famous

The Year We Were Famous by Carole Estby Dagg

Apr 17, 2011

bookshelves: 2011-release, historical-fiction, ya, women-that-really-existed-fiction, arc
Read from April 16 to 17, 2011

This is a novel aimed at ages 12 and up but I thoroughly enjoyed it and I am way past 12... The year is 1896, the setting a small, struggling farm in Washington state. The mother, Helga rarely gets out of bed, the father has a back problem, there are a total of 8 living children, the oldest being Clara. Clara has to take care of everything.. but there's one thing she cannot do: save their family's farm.

So.. her mom comes up with this idea: they will walk all the way from Spokane to New York. Yes, I said walk, no taking trains or anything. They find a publisher willing to pay them ten grand to do this.. upon arrival by a deadline, of course. So Helga and Clara set off.

To read full review, please click on the link: http://wwwbookbabe.blogspot.com/2011/...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Year We Were Famous.

04/16/2011 page 69
24.0% "I really like this. It's simple, to the point, and I think these ladies are gonna have some intersting adventures. Love how they did the wood chopping."