Kevyn's Reviews > Believe: The Words and Inspiration of Desmond Tutu

Believe by Desmond Tutu

U_50x66
Apr 03, 11

bookshelves: advisory-quarter-3

My goal for this quarter in school was to chose reading books which were more practical and more useful to me in terms of learning history and real life events. And this book, a book about a real life hero, is one example of these kinds of books. "Believe" is about the life and times of archbishop and South African civil rights activist Desmond Tutu. I enjoyed this book very much because it is both a biography of the man and an explanation of his more famous quotes. And it's also an explanation of the meaning of the quotes. Now, in the first section of the book, we learn about Bishop Tutu's personal life in a "biography-like" style of writing. Throughout the rest of the book, though, his quotes are used to explain his life and his civil rights activities in the country of South Africa, none of which I knew about before I read this book. I liked this book because even though I had heard many of the quotes before such as, "a person is a person through other persons", I never knew the author of the quotes until I read "Believe". And a saying like this actually makes you think about yourself and how you fit in and can change the society around you. When I first read this quote, for example, I thought about how kids can sometimes be just like their parents. I think a lot of things one thinks about, how one acts and what actions one takes are really just a reflection of what your parents have taught by their actions or conversations and what you’ve learned from the other influential people in your life The most simple example of this is when you plan to watch a certain television show, you probably do so because you have heard about the show from someone close to you. And then you pass this information on and soon, you might find that soon "everyone is watching the show!". I also found these quotes and sayings interesting because I realize that each quote or saying an can be interpreted and used in different ways by each individual person for their own purposes. I liked this book because it was very different from anything I usually read. It was more like a biography and a collection of quotes, and i, again, usually read fiction. I would recommend this book to anyone who is older than 15 or 16. Anyone younger than that might find this book boring and probably would not understand it anyway.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Believe.