Bonnie's Reviews > Cinderella Ate My Daughter: Dispatches from the Frontlines of the New Girlie-Girl Culture

Cinderella Ate My Daughter by Peggy Orenstein

Apr 22, 11

bookshelves: nonfiction, page-turner, pop-culture, humor
Recommended for: parents with daughters
Read from March 28 to April 20, 2011, read count: 1

I enjoyed the hell out of this book (not quite sure what I mean by that, but it's true). It's been a great discussion topic between friends, co-workers, and family. The chapters go quickly and I thought the subject matter was fascinating. I've seen other reviewers complain that Orenstein doesn't offer advice on how to help your daughter (and even your son) to recognize and cope with the girlie-girl culture. After reading the book, I don't know that she could give a simple set of instructions for us to follow with success; the emphasis of the book is that we can't remove our children or ourselves completely from this culture. And even if we could (thinking back to the example of the genderless child), certain behaviors will assert themselves regardless. What Orenstein does do is explain her own parenting, which she recognizes as flawed. She struggles with giving in to her daughter, with the permeation of girlie-girl culture (pink, sparkly, princess-y, and sexy-without-being-sexy), and with accepting being feminine without that being a negative. She also finds ways to encourage her daughter to really think about the princess stories and the way girls are represented. You won't find a list of instructions for raising your daughter, but you'll see Orenstein's methods as a parent and the successes and failures she has with her daughter.

Really, this book was fascinating and educational. I loved it!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cinderella Ate My Daughter.