Ron's Reviews > Captain Easy, Soldier of Fortune, Vol. 1: The Complete Sunday Newspaper Strips, 1933-1935

Captain Easy, Soldier of Fortune, Vol. 1 by Roy Crane

Apr 02, 11

bookshelves: graphic_novels-comics
Read in January, 2011

This is a collection of Roy Crane's full-page Sunday comic strips from 1933-35. I can't say I'd ever heard of it until stumbling across a reference to it in an article on Hal Foster (Prince Valiant, Tarzan). I kept it next to the bed and read a few pages every night for a few weeks. The characters are cliche and corny, very much of the era in which they were created. Interesting to see places like China, India, and the East Indies as topical locales for adventure. Also interesting to see how Crane manages to craft a full-blown continuing story in just a few panels and despite the corniness, the stories are very solid. There are lessons here to be learned by writers of all stripes. The book is a very large format--I felt like I was reading from an oversized restaurant menu. I was sorry to see this end, but Volume 2 comes out in June, 2011.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Captain Easy, Soldier of Fortune, Vol. 1.