Jennifer's Reviews > Julie and Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen: How One Girl Risked Her Marriage, Her Job, and Her Sanity to Master the Art of Living

Julie and Julia by Julie Powell

662039
Feb 19, 2008

it was ok
Read in January, 2006

I have a love/hate relationship with this book. I love the concept- the story of the author working her way through Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking one recipe at a time, skipping nothing. At its root it's a true life adventure- something I can experience vicariously.

On the other hand, sometimes the execution is flawed. (I *really* didn't want to know about the maggot infestation in the author's kitchen, I know my kitchen isn't perfectly hygenic. But maggots under the dish drainer? Ewww eww eww!) As the book wears on, the story becomes less and less about the cooking and more and more about the how much the author hates her government job and her small apartment, the plumbing catastrophes that regularly happein in said apartment and the cast of kooky friends that drop in regularly.

Knowing that the book started out as a blog makes the prose a little more forgivable. Although the book is NOT written in "blog form", I can see where the narrative would have worked well when it was a blog. It's obvious the author felt the need to pad the story a bit to make it in full-length book, which I don't think was totally necessary. The filler it just that- filler.

The author supposedly had a multi book deal now. The problem is that I don't know if I would ever read another book by her. Maybe if she came up with another great concept.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Julie and Julia.

marissa THE MAGGOTS, DEAR GOD THE MAGGOTS. How could she -- how could *anybody* -- eat anything she cooks after finding that out, ever again?!?

Jennifer I am still haunted by the maggots every time I see the book. Wonder if they'll include that scene in the movie??