Lisa's Reviews > Haunting Violet

Haunting Violet by Alyxandra Harvey

Oct 12, 2011

bookshelves: bloomsbury-allen-unwin

Originally posted at Read Me Bookmark Me Love Me

From the very first page, I was invested in the lives of Violet Willoughby and Colin Lennox, an Irish orphan who was taken in by Violet's mother, Celeste. The beautiful language swept me off my feet and well, they say the rest is history... Violet has the true ability of contacting spirits and must use her power to solve a possible murder mystery, alongside her psychic mother who is really a con artist. Haunting Violet is an engaging story about a girl who wishes to find her happy ending without frightening spirits and meddling mothers, but with the boy who has been there for her since day one.

I love that Haunting Violet spent a lot of time on building and solving the mystery of Rowena Wentworth. It isn't a sub-plot that is occasionally referred to whenever we deviate from the romance, but in fact the other way around. I'm quite confident when I say that you won't guess the outcome of this mystery... Throughout, you'll pick out your favourite suspects and try to figure out their motives but Harvey manages to constantly surprise us as the novel progresses! As things take a turn for the worse towards the end, you'll be running a thrilling race to catch the killer and to make it past the finish line alive...

Xavier Trethewey is a wealthy man from a very respectable family, someone who Violet should be ecstatic about being courted by, and yet she cannot pull her thoughts from Xavier, the boy who has been by her side since she was nine years old. Whether he was putting toads in her bed or giving her extra morsels of his own food, he's always cared for her and doesn't believe someone like Xavier deserves her. He knows her as a person and values her inner beauty, rather than the outer beauty Xavier seems so focused on. It is quickly obvious to readers that Xavier will follow whatever his family says for the sake of their reputation, and that Colin is one hundred percent the right man for Violet. Even he doesn't believe himself good enough for her! Can I hear some "aww"s? Their relationship isn't blindingly sweet, but realistic and will really touch your heart with its genuineness and long-spanning history.

Haunting Violet is everything you could ever want in a young adult paranormal. The ideas are fresh, the characters interesting, the plot gripping and the relationships charming. Whether we're swooning over Colin, edging away from Xavier, giggling with Violet's best friend Elizabeth or throwing punches at her venomous mother, this novel will keep you thoroughly entertained and wishing for more. Having said that, the ending is perfect and will leave you with the tingles! A beautiful tale that I will happily read again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Haunting Violet.