Jennifer's Reviews > Wither

Wither by Lauren DeStefano

Apr 02, 2011

bookshelves: read-teen-fiction, read-scifi-and-fantasy
Read from April 16 to 24, 2011

A fascinating dystopian world creation (with slight touches of Atwood's classic "The Handmaid's Tale").

Death occurs at 20 for females and 25 for males due to a genetic glitch possibly created by genetically altered children over generations. Everything changes due to this short life-span - everything.

DeStefano has a way with characters. While her males need some development, she did great with her women - Rose, Jenna, Rhine, and especially Cecily - whom I found fascinating, heartbreaking, and very real. Also, Vaughn as the villain is excellent - he's smart and terrifying - a perfect villain.

My only quibble with the book is that this first volume of a planned trilogy (aren't they all anymore?) gives away too little. I felt more about Vaughn and his plans should have been revealed, plus what he did to Cecily and Jenna . . . I have my guesses, but I felt a little more sharing about him should have taken place.

Overall, though, a worthwhile read and I'll be looking forward to the second installment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wither.

Heidi I'll be interested to see what you think! Sometimes, I felt like the subject matter was a bit too mature for YA..but maybe it will scare a few teens from getting pregnant. :]

Jennifer I added it to my list because of your review - sounded like something I would like! =)

Jennifer I really enjoyed it! (see my review)

I'm also not sure about YA - not content-wise but empathy-wise. Those scenes with Cecily and her baby and breastfeeding and Vaughn were breaking my heart - but I don't see too many teens really understanding the emotional toll of pregnancy and motherhood . . .

Don't know though - I''m always surprised by what teens like and don't!