Kat's Reviews > Living Dead Girl

Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott

Apr 07, 11

bookshelves: audiobook, ya-fiction, horror, death
Read in April, 2011

Yikes. I really don't know how to rate this book at all so I'll stick with a safe 3 stars. Did I hate it? Was it well-written? Who knows. I don't. All I really know is that at times, the imagery (both described and alluded) was so unsettling and disgusting that I felt sick. "Alice" is a kidnapped 15-year-old girl that has been living with her pedophile captor Ray for 5 years, enduring constant psychological and physical torture, and she is so broken and far gone that you can't help but lament that there would likely be no hope for her, even if she was saved. (I won't tell you whether or not that happens). She calls herself a "living dead girl", and she is anxiously waiting not for her escape but for her death, when Ray will finally replace her with a new "Alice". Alice's first-person narrative is choppy and raw, slipping between memories of her past and her terrifying present. But does all of this equal a good book??

After reading other reviews, I have to agree that for me, this felt more like watching a gross-out horror movie like Saw or The Hills Have Eyes than reading a compelling or meaningful story. Ray represents one of the most disgusting manifestations of human evil, and this book felt mostly like a front row seat to his sickness. "Alice" is his broken shell, a victim so shattered that signs of his evil are even beginning to manifest in her. And no, I don't think that every book needs to have a heroine in shining armor or a happy rainbow at the end. I had trouble though understanding what the point was beyond simply illuminating the possibilities of evil and the extent to which someone can become so broken.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Living Dead Girl.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 2: by Daisy (new)

Daisy Porter-Reynolds so good but so disturbing. keep the lights on while you read & stay close to Basil :)

message 1: by Kat (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kat Ughhh, so unsettling! What was even stranger though was that the audiobook I listened to was read by some Broadway actress that has played Glinda the Good Witch (not Kristen Chenoweth but peppy and high-pitched just like her).