Tom Lichtenberg's Reviews > A Life Transparent

A Life Transparent by Todd Keisling

Apr 02, 2011

bookshelves: twenty-first-century-literature

This is a cautionary tale in the guise of a supernatural thriller. Beware of living a dull, cautious life, or even just being a boring person, or the boredom bogeyman might come and literally suck you out of this world, body and soul. This book about boredom is itself never tedious. There are a number of interesting and creative features which kept me intrigued throughout.

The main hook is that an ordinary person living a pointless existence can disappear, and become one of those missing persons whose fate is never discovered. In real life, they either change their identity and move on, or are deceased and discreetly entombed. Here they are ripped into a different world, a black and white layer beneath the colorful world we all know. In this half-life they belong to a devious dominator. Naturally there is a protagonist who gets caught up in this hell and has to fight his way out. It's a thriller from then on.

The book is very well-written, interesting, creative, and intriguing. In short, I liked it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Life Transparent.