Patty's Reviews > Santa Olivia

Santa Olivia by Jacqueline Carey

1020899
I have not read anything else by Jacqueline Carey. I certainly have heard of her Kushiel's Legacy series, but some how they have not been on my to-read list. I may have to add them.

Santa Olivia is a small town that has become no man's land in the war between the United States and Mexico. It once was part of Texas, but war and pestilence has cut the people in this town off from the rest of the world. The only way folks could ever get out is by winning a boxing match against a contender from the army. The direction of this book seems fairly clear from the beginning.

I am not entirely sure what made me pick up this book. I don't read much science fiction these days and Santa Olivia is definitely science fiction. I am not terribly interested in boxing and the reviews that link the main character Loup to werewolves are IMHO misleading at best.

But I read to be immersed in a world that is new to me, but plausible. I love to to find characters that I can cheer on or learn from. I want to be carried away - I want to fall into a book and not want to get out. And Carey did that for me - I couldn't put this down. Loup, her brother and her friends were well drawn and interesting.

If Carey can drawn me in like this with her other books, I will be thrilled.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Santa Olivia.