Margaret Taylor's Reviews > Guards! Guards!

Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett

Apr 02, 11

The first time I started reading this book, I didn’t get it. I gave up in disgust when I got to the point where the Librarian was an orangutan. Real fantasy wasn’t supposed to be absurd! It was supposed to have magic spells in it!

Only the efforts of many friends singing Terry Pratchett’s praises finally convinced me to pick it up again. Now I realize the guy is freaking brilliant. Discworld still doesn’t make a lot of sense, but the fantasy isn’t the point, it’s the characters.

Guards! Guards! is about guards. Those faceless people who get killed off in droves in your typical fantasy story while the readers yawn. Only these guards get names. Not only do they get names, but they get backstory, and character development, and a romantic subplot. They even get to save the day. Terry Pratchett focuses a lens on our foibles and some of the less admirable aspects of human nature. Ankh-Morpork doesn’t sound like a place I would like to live. And yet, while optimistic would be too strong a word, Guards! Guards! is eminently hopeful.

And who could resist going all fangirl all over Commander Vimes?
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Guards! Guards!.

Sabrina Just wondering, have you gone back and read other Discworld books now? The Color of Magic (The first Discworld novel) explains how the orangutan came to be the librarian. That's one of the many things I love about Pratchett's writing: The inclusion of inside jokes, running gags, and recurring plot devices that you'll only pick up on if you read all the books from the beginning of the series. :)

Margaret Taylor Hi, Sabrina!

I've read Thud!, Hogswatch, and Good Omens. But, yeah. I'm planning on all of his stuff, if at all possible.

Carol I like the fact that it's a book about people who are normally overlooked. A neat take on a fantasy subject.