Cornerofmadness's Reviews > The Crowfield Curse

Apr 12, 11

bookshelves: young-adult
Read in April, 2011

** spoiler alert **

This was a younger YA that’s been popping up in my book list (age group ala Percy Jackson). It’s set in a medieval monastery which should tell you right off there isn’t much in the way of women in this and they would be inappropriate given the setting. The story revolves around young William, an orphan now being raised as a monastery servant. He was the only survivor of a mill fire that took his family and he has the Sight, i.e. can see the fae folk. About his only friends in Crowfield is Brother Snail, a monk with a bone disease where he’s curling in on himself and stiffing up and Peter, the mildly retarded lay brother.

It opens with Will finding a Hob with his foot stuck in a metal trap. Freeing the hob, Will rescues him, taking him to Brother Snail, the healer. Snail and he nurses the hob back to health forging a bond. The monastery, a very poor one, has just been paid a large sum of money to house Master Bone and his servant Shadlock but when he gets there they learn he is a leper.

Also he and Shadlock, along with Will for other reasons, are trying to work out the ‘curse.’ It turns out a century before an Angel was killed in the woods. The monks took a feather and buried it. Shadlock and Bone are both cursed by the Unseelie king. Bone was a human musician who had the favor of the Seelie queen and Shadlock was her warrior.

Will doesn’t really want to help the cold Shadlock but he has little choice. He is swept up in the search to find the angel but the Unseelie king kills them all.

I enjoyed this far more than I thought I would. Will is engaging and the storytelling is well paced and exciting. It’s the first in a series (goodreads says it’s only a two part series but I could see the potential for more.) I will definitely be looking for the sequel.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Crowfield Curse.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shazza (new)

Shazza Maddog That sounds very interesting.

Cornerofmadness it was. the sequel came out last week. time to go bug the librarian

Big Complainer Complainer Whoever says shadlok dies is an idiot :/