Manda's Reviews > Unsinkable: A Young Woman's Courageous Battle on the High Seas

Unsinkable by Abby Sunderland

Apr 03, 11

Read from April 02 to 03, 2011

This is the semi-autobiographical account of Abby Sunderland, the sixteen-year-old American who attempted to sail solo around the world in 2010. The book is written partly in Sunderland's first-person voice, and partly in third person to describe her background, the preparations for her trip, and the trip itself.

I must start this review by stating that at the time this story hit the news, I absolutely did not agree that a young woman of that age should be allowed by anyone to attempt such a feat. Even after reading this book, I still have my doubts.

However, after having read this book, I realize that Abby Sunderland is not your average person. This is a story of a young woman who knew exactly what she was getting herself into, had prepared herself as much as she could, and who had an amazing team behind her. The Abby Sunderland in this book is not the same girl who was presented to the world by the media.

Honestly, this should be required reading for high school students. Sunderland tells an amazing story of perseverance, of courage, and of sheer gumption. People who aren't sailors (like me) may get lost in some of the details, but the raw human emotion that shines so brightly here will be inspiring to anyone. It is also a story of the power of faith.

It's an easy read, and I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to know what the human spirit is capable of. Also, anyone who was even remotely interested in Sunderland's journey will find this book interesting.

** Disclaimer: This review is based off an advance review copy from the publisher. I was not required in any way to write a positive review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unsinkable.