Arthur's Reviews > Finding Elliot

Finding Elliot by Serena Yates

Apr 02, 11

I always enjoy reading m/m romance between childhood friends. There is a sense of 'innocence' between the characters. In some books, the relationship (either as best friends or lovers) goes on; in others, the relationship is cut off abruptly (usually over family's disapproval). This book is the latter one.

I like this book because the characters decide to pursue the relationship despite being separated for five years. Yes, there are misunderstandings which lead to 'fights', but those are solved in adult, mature ways. After being angry for couple days, they talk. I cannot stand stories where adult men break up completely or being separated for a long period without communication at all (like for more than a year) due to a simple misunderstanding. The typical would be one of the protagonists leaves the city/state without waiting for any explanation from the other one. If one of them needs time to be alone, that's fine, though. I can also accept it if the characters are still young, such as those in high school; but not if they are both adult men. Thanks God this book is not one of those.

Will read the other books in the series. Soon. Unfortunately, they are not in Amazon yet.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Finding Elliot.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Serena (last edited May 28, 2011 06:01AM) (new) - added it

Serena Yates Thank you for reading Finding Elliot, Arhtur. I am happy you liked it so much and want to continue reading the series. Volume 2, Rediscovering Adrian is now available on amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Rediscovering-A...). However, the separation here is due to a misunderstandig which only gets "solved" a few yars later, so you might not like this one, if that is not your thing. Number three in the series, Understanding Mark, will be available on amazon next month, but is available in kindle format at the publisher's website now. The first three books are quite closely linked, though, so you may want to read volume 2 anyway, even though you might like it less...

:-)
Serena

Arthur Thanks, Serena. I had read Adrian, and I like it. Yes, it's misunderstanding but it's not based on something trivial. It's basically forced by the mother. What I meant is misunderstanding simply because one character overheard an incomplete conversation, or enters a room when his lover holds another man (to tell the other man to leave or decline the offers). Such things that can easily be remedied by talking to each other. In the case of Adrian and Peter, even if they talk, the outcome might still be the same.

Looking forward to reading the rest of the series!

message 3: by Serena (new) - added it

Serena Yates Arthur wrote: "Thanks, Serena. I had read Adrian, and I like it. Yes, it's misunderstanding but it's not based on something trivial. It's basically forced by the mother. What I meant is misunderstanding simply be..."

Oh, I'm so glad you're making a distinction between different types of misunderstandings. I'm totlaly with you: the easily solved ones are definitely less "fun". Hapy to hear you are enjoying thse books, I am just wriitng #7 now, so there is lots more to come. :-)