Mart Lepanen's Reviews > Mort

Mort by Terry Pratchett

U_50x66
Apr 02, 11

Read in March, 2011 — I own a copy

The rate at which I simply devoured this book should already speak volumes about my thoughts about it. It could imply that it's a simple fluff read, and that would generally be true, but it also has its set of interesting and most of all, fun characters that make things move at a brisk pace and enough great jokes that make you stop for a minute and just laugh.
However, I do have more than a few gripes with this book. As mentioned earlier, the characters are great, but what that means is that Death far and away the best (or at least my favorite) Pratchett character and his presence alone makes it easy to forget faults in others. Im not saying that the ''supporting cast'' of this book is necessarily bad, I just think that Pratchett didn't spend enough time building them up and making them relatable before we needed to support them. Princess Keli is the perfect example. Trapped somewhere between life and death, we get to follow her as she tries to sort out the mess that Mort inadvertently put her in, but we kind of don't want to. She is appears to be very stuck-up and just unpleasant. When she finally comes into her own as a character, the book is over!
I also found that Pratchett made a lot more references to the ''real world'' than in some of his later books. References to cinematic maneuvers, real word tragedies and so on don't necessarily have an ill effect on the book, but they do make you pause and think about the nature of Discworld and the narrator. For example, when saying that a city is so rotten that its only hope for salvation is a flamethrower, are we meant to assume that flamethrowers exist in Discworld or that it's just an apt comparison. And if it is then who is this pan-dimensionally omniscient narrator that can draw comparisons to things that don't even exist in the world that is inhabited by the object of comparison.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mort.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Niall pan-dimentional narrator, could be correct considering some discworld characters ended up on a jet plane flying over Earth. also Flame throwers exist on the Disc, in the form of 1 swamp dragons, or 2 young wizards that are just working out how the fireball is not good for a starter spell :)