Bec's Reviews > The Lover's Dictionary

The Lover's Dictionary by David Levithan

Jun 14, 11

Read in May, 2011

Such a brilliant book. I once saw a play called '52 Pickup' (very much like the movie '500 Days of Summer' if you've seen it) where an actor and actress came onto the stage and threw a deck of cards onto the ground. They then proceeded to pick the cards up at random (each card obviously corresponded to a prerehearsed scene) and acted out the various scenes from their relationship. I saw the play several times and it never got boring, because although the scenes were the same, each time the journey was different.

'The Lover's Dictionary' is like that, but the moments from the relationship are guided by letters of the alphabet. Even so, you could open the book at any point and set a whole new course through this relationship (which is so simply and universally described that it could be anybody's).

Given that this is the first novel of David Levithan's that I have read that isn't for young adults, I was interested to see how his style would change. Young adult fiction has a knack of taking issues that we have all experienced and getting straight to the heart of the matter and in this book Levithan does just that. A must have dictionary for all lovers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lover's Dictionary.

message 1: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo Ooh good choice! Cliché I know, but this book's actually not like any other I've ever read. I'm not sure I got the full story as there are gaps that are deliberately only alluded to and I’m sure I missed, but it was fascinating and I devoured it in less than an hour because it just claimed my whole attention.
Also, hello! I don't think we've met but we have mutual friends. Do you work at a Readings?
Jo :)

message 2: by Bec (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bec That's what grabbed me about it! I loved the concept and event the writing in the exert is beautiful. I will definitely let you know what I think. Kind of reminds me of a play I saw once called 52 pick up which was brilliant.

And hello! I don't work at Readings, but I know a lot of people who do. I have worked at Mary Martin, The Little Bookroom and am now happily freelancing. Lovely.

If you happen to be a fan of YA stuff though, come along to the YA book festival that I run. I always like to make new book friends!