Wealhtheow's Reviews > Friday Night Bites

Friday Night Bites by Chloe Neill

Apr 02, 11

bookshelves: paranormal_romance, urban-fantasy
Read from March 14 to 16, 2011

Merit was attacked by a master vampire in Some Girls Bite, and to save her life she was turned into a vampire. Since then, she's tried to figure out how to live as a vampire instead of a human, and as a warrior instead of a grad student.

This is a terrible book. The author seems to think that if she just describes her main character as a fan of the Cubs and lots of junk food, Merit will be a well-rounded, relatable character. Sadly, she doesn't put any effort into making Merit's decisions make sense, or her interests consistent, or anything else. I know more about Merit's clothing than I do about the grad work she was supposedly so passionate about (admittedly, her clothing is mentioned ever scene). And the sexual tension just doesn't work for me, since her love interest is basically just Lestat in Armani (exhaustively described Armani). But what really annoyed me about this book is that it's supposed to be all about complicated, sophisticated back-stabbing manipulation, and yet the dialog and plot has all the subtlety of ten year olds trying to get someone to ask what PEN15 means.

Not worth your time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Friday Night Bites.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

What is up with all of the descriptions of clothing in this class of fiction? I see it all the time, especially in chick-lit about vampires.

Wealhtheow I do not know, but it rankles at my soul. Clothing descriptions are not a substitute for actual characterization, people!