emi Bevacqua's Reviews > Reviving Ophelia: Saving the Selves of Adolescent Girls

Reviving Ophelia by Mary Pipher

Apr 01, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction, girlhood, parenting
Read from March 29 to April 01, 2011

I know I'm jumping the gun a bit here, my girls are only 3 but I've heard references to Reviving Ophelia for years and I'm glad I got it out of the way ahead of time. I don't like reading self-help genre, or listening to pop psychology language; and this was actually palatable, despite its having been written almost 20 years ago! I feel I learned lots about the direct effects different styles of parenting can have on teenage girls: "At one end (of the affection spectrum) are parents who are accepting, responsive and child-centered, and the other end is rejecting, unresponsive and parent-centered. The second dimension has to do with control, with parents on one end undemanding and low in control, and at the other end demanding and high in control... Parents who are high in control and high in acceptance (strict but loving parents) have teenagers who are independent, socially responsible and confident."

All the case studies were entertaining to read, without being lurid. Rather than just wallow in all the dangers out there, Dr. Pipher gives direction as to how to help; she includes a list of questions she engages troubled teens with, gives tremendous insight into what motivates kids, and differentiates what's normal and what isn't.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reviving Ophelia.