Penelope's Reviews > The Return of the King

The Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien

May 03, 11

bookshelves: spring-11, science-fiction-fantasy-and-horror
Read from April 01 to May 03, 2011

Ok, so I hit a bit of a block when it came to finishing this book. For a few weeks I struggled to get past roughly the middle portion of The Return of the King. However, I picked it back up this week and breezed through the last 100 pages or so. I'm not sure if it was the writing itself that became dull (or the plot), or if I just sank into a LotR funk. Maybe a combination of both.

I've heard people complain that the battle-scenes made this book their least favorite, however I don't think that's what bored me. A lot of the plot concerning the realm of Men was just dull compared to the relatively fantastical worlds of the Elves, Hobbits, Ents, etc. Clearly important, but not nearly as exciting to read. All that kingly drama made me feel like I was reading something by Shakespeare (that is a partly awesome, partly unfortunate thing).

I'm not even sure how to review this book. It's absolutely a work of incredible skill and creativity. I hope to read all 4 books again in the future (along with the appendices...I skipped them this time around). I was glad that the book ended the way it did--I was afraid that it would end quite abruptly after the ring was destroyed but Tolkien was sure to tie up loose ends. The story came full-circle, ending in the Shire where it first began.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Return of the King.

04/21/2011 page 235
42.0% "Slowly but surely I'm making my way through this book. Definitely the toughest read of the 3 (or 4 I suppose if you count the Hobbit)."