Evie's Reviews > Heaven Sent

Heaven Sent by Xavier Leret

Apr 10, 11

bookshelves: e-books, debut-author
Read from April 01 to 10, 2011

Mix together Romeo and Juliette with Bonnie and Clyde and throw them into J.D Salinger's Catcher in the Rye and you'll get an explosive, brilliant and breath taking novel: Heaven Sent, by debut author Xavier Leret.

Superficially the story of two young people from the opposite worlds, undeniably drawn to each other, Heaven Sent is in fact a perceptive study of one's individual understanding of his human condition. It's a heavy and dark story which deals with some big, hard-hitting topics like social prejudices, religious beliefs, child abuse and prostitution.

Carlo is a sixteen year old boy from a deeply Catholic family in Bristol, England. He grows up the only child in a severely religious household and is being forced to follow strict rules of Catholic Church. It seems that he's suffocating under the pressure his parents are putting on him to be perfect, pure and devoted. He's not allowed to have normal social interactions with his peers, which makes him feel disconnected and lonely. Lost and confused, he struggles to make sense out of the world around him.

His world is turned upside down when he crashes into a young girl on the street. Daisy is a young prostitute, with a beautiful face and heavy Bristolian accent. Her childhood was a nightmare, she was abused, repeatedly molested and then forced to make a living by selling her body on the streets. She didn't have anyone she could trust to, no one ever made her feel safe, loved or understood. Carlo was the first person to reach out to her in attempt to help her. The only one to accept and love her for who she was.

So what happens when these two opposite worlds come crashing together? Be prepared for a wild emotional roller coaster ride! I was captured by Xavier's exquisite writing and his ability to depict the world so vividly, it made the characters seem so very real. Especially Daisy, with her lines written with thick Bristolian accent. Once i started reading, I found it virtually impossible to put this book down. It was absolutely phenomenal!

Is there anyone I wouldn't recommend this book to? Yes. I would say the content of the book, as well as coarse language makes this book not suitable for people under the age of 16 (maybe even 18). Also, if you're one of the people who get annoyed at the lack of speech marks, you might find it a little bit difficult to read it. I, personally, found it mildly irritating, for sometimes it was hard to tell the difference between dialogue and narration parts.

Overall, I had a wonderful time reading this book. It left me speechless. I know I will be thinking about Carlo and Daisy for a long time!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heaven Sent.