Philip's Reviews > At Bertram's Hotel: A Miss Marple Mystery

At Bertram's Hotel by Agatha Christie

Apr 03, 11

Read from April 01 to 03, 2011, read count: 2

First read in 1975.

A very nostalgic book, as Jane Marple returns to Bertram's Hotel in London, where she once stayed as a young girl - despite two World Wars, Bertram's Edwardian elegance seems completely unchanged and, as Miss Marple reflects, almost too good to be true . . .

Christie is still in good form in this 1965 novel, successfully juggling two plots, and does a great job in the opening chapter of setting up the mis-en-scene of Bertram's Hotel in all its splendor and efficiency. I remember 'whodunnit,' and why, but don't think that will interfere with my enjoyment of this one.

We get a brief glimpse of the young Jane Marple as she things back upon her younger self as "that pink and white eager young girl . . . Such a silly girl in many ways . . . now who was that very unsuitable young man whose name --- oh dear, she couldn’t even remember it now! How wise her mother had been to nip that friendship so firmly in the bud. She had come across him years later --- and really he was quite dreadful! At the time she had cried herself to sleep for at least a week!"
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read At Bertram's Hotel.