Jessica's Reviews > Looking for Alibrandi

Looking for Alibrandi by Melina Marchetta

Apr 01, 2011

bookshelves: ya-contemporary, ya
Read from April 01 to 02, 2011 , read count: 2

Looking for Alibrandi was the only Melina Marchetta book that I didn't own, so a week or so ago when I was ordering some books for a friend's birthday I decided to buy Looking for Alibrandi for myself as well. It has always been my least favorite Melina book, and that didn't change with this re-read. I feel like it is a 3.5 star book for me (though I do wish there was some way for me to see the movie).

While reading it again I felt like Looking for Alibrandi has all of the elements that reappear in Melina's novels (family, friends, life changing events), but that she doesn't mix these different aspects of the book together as well as she does in later books, and maybe she is attempting a little too much. I never really get a good sense of her friends. The one aspect of the book I really do like is Josie building her relationship with Michael Andretti.

It was also funny as a 30 year old who reads a lot of YA being (sort of) on the other side of the divide, since this time through I realized I was 10 when this book was published. Some of the references that I don't get are because I was too young when it was written. I remember stopping during one passage and realizing it was a Ronald Reagan reference. I missed all of that the first time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Looking for Alibrandi.

04/01/2011 page 53