Deb's Reviews > The Feast Nearby: How I lost my job, buried a marriage, and found my way by keeping chickens, foraging, preserving, bartering, and eating locally

The Feast Nearby by Robin Mather

Jun 01, 15

bookshelves: cookbooks, foodie-books, green-living, non-fiction, re-reading, cook-the-books
Read in May, 2015

Review Update: Having first read this book back in 2011 (and cooked the Navy Bean Soup recipe from it), I recently re-read The Feast nearby as part of my virtual foodie book club Cook the Books and this time tried a simple dip recipe.

Review Excerpt:
Mather's words and the food she cooks are simple, homey and great to curl up with at night before bed. It made me want to get a tiny cabin complete with a poodle, a smart African Grey parrot, and maybe a kitten, and try to live on $40 a week too. Since that's tempting but not realistic, Mather's book is the next best thing.

You can see my full review and find a recipe for "Ethel Dip"--a creamy cheddar and green pepper spread on my blog post here: http://kahakaikitchen.blogspot.com/20...

----

Review 12/9/2011: This book has been on my nightstand as I have slowly but surely worked through it each night. Robin Mather is a food journalist who lost her job and her husband in one week and moved back to rural Michigan to live a simpler life. The book looks seasonally at her year eating locally and seasonally for $40 a week. Filled with essays and recipes about celebrating simple living and the home arts.

Here's a link to the Navy Bean Soup recipe: http://kahakaikitchen.blogspot.com/20...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Feast Nearby.