Sharon's Reviews > By the Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead

Apr 01, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: cpl-best-of-the-best, ya, realistic-fiction
Read in March, 2011

I really wish when I was horrifically depressed and on the brink of suicide, I had a character like Santana in my life---a goofy, exuberant guy who continued to pursue me even when I showed no interests or signs of response, and even rudely spurned him most of the time. I was so glad he was there to lighten the narrative a bit, but this particular trope always comes across as a but unrealistic to me, and it didn't ring true here.

I really did feel a lot of sympathy for Daelyn's character in this book, who has been bullied to the point where she no longer has hope, is rendered speechless by a neck brace that was the result of a suicide attempt, and is still eager to end her life. She came across as someone with no interests other than her relentless pursuit of self-destruction which, while occasionally boring and again sparks one to wonder why someone would find her fascinating, I find to be true to the experience of depression. There is some mention of her choral background too which shows a faded interest. I loved that she used a message board to express her thoughts, and there was even some dark humor in there and in considering suicide methods, which I wish had come through a little more.

I think the relationship Daelyn forms with another bullied, overweight teen, which is more awkward, slow, and understated, as a possible friend, was actually more interesting than the one with Santana and I really loved these two souls finding each other. Overall, this was a gripping read that palpably portrays severe depression, and in the countdown format keeps older teen & adult readers hooked into wondering what Daelyn's final decision will be.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read By the Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead.