Joshua's Reviews > Gitanjali

Gitanjali by Rabindranath Tagore

Apr 24, 11

bookshelves: poetry
Read from April 01 to 24, 2011

Poetic falls short of describing Gitanjali. I'll have more to say when I'm finished.

April 24, 2011

Finished. Wonderful, poetic, imaginative are just a few words to describe Tagore's work. I don't know of any other way to describe it, so I'll just let Tagore speak for Tagore's self,

On the seashore of endless worlds children meet. The infinite sky is motionless overhead and the restless water is boisterous. On the seashore of endless worlds children meet with shouts and dances

They build their houses with sand and they play with empty shells. With withered leaves they weave their boats and smilingly float them on the vast deep. Children have their play on the seashore of worlds.

They know not hos to swim, they know not how to cast nets. Pearl fishers dive for pearls, merchants sail in their ships, while children gather pebbles and scatter them again. They seek not for hidden treasures, they know not how to cast nets.

the sea surges up with laughter and pale gleams the smile of the sea beach. Death-dealing waves sing meaningless ballads to the children, even like a mother while rocking her baby's cradle. The sea plays with children, and pale gleams the smile of the sea beach.

On the sea shores of endless worlds children meet. Tempest roams in the pathless sky, ships get wrecked in the trackless water, death is abroad and children play. On the seashores of endless worlds is the great meeting of children.

If this isn't a great example of poetic verse, I don't know what is.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gitanjali.