Vanessa's Reviews > Snow White

Snow White by Donald Barthelme

Apr 03, 11

Read from March 30 to April 03, 2011

Hmmmm. I actually liked this quite a lot more than I thought I would when I first started it. It is genuinely funny and inventive and weirdly compelling. I found the treatment of Snow White herself kind of gross, but maybe I am missing something in terms of what he was doing with that. Or maybe it was just a bit gross and from the 1960's. I don't know. Still, made me want to check out more Barthelme, and I don't generally think of myself as having the patience for this kind of po-mo weirdness.

"She was fond not of him, but of the abstract notion that, to her, meant 'him.' I am not sure that that is the best idea."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Snow White.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah Oh man. You and Skendo should have some kind of Barthelme love-fest. He was devastated that I didn't like 'The Captured Woman.'

Seth S: To be clear, I wasn't devastated about that. Just confused. How could one *not* love Barthelme's "The Captured Woman?"

V: I'm a giant fan of Barthelme. Really liked "The King" and his short story collections "40 Stories" and "60 Stories."

Vanessa Thanks, Seth. I will plan on checking those out. I was intrigued! Any thoughts on the gender politics of Snow White?