Kathryn's Reviews > Pancakes for Breakfast

Pancakes for Breakfast by Tomie dePaola
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
446464
's review
Apr 01, 11

bookshelves: childrens-picture-books, cooking
Read in April, 2011

This is a very fun story. A woman gets up and longs to have pancakes for breakfast. She reads the recipe (the only words in this otherwise wordless picture book, but that makes it nice if anyone wants to make the recipe themselves except, obviously, those of us who are vegan) and goes to the cupboard only to realize she doesn't have eggs (so she goes out to the barn to get some from the chickens), milk (so she goes out to milk the cow), etc. It's a cute way to show where our food comes from but is of course very idealized. In the end, there is a big surprise when the lady gets home from getting the maple syrup. I'm not sure I was especially pleased with how she finally gets some pancakes for breakfast; I know it was meant to be humorous but I found it slightly selfish. Still, it's a fun book, overall.
5 likes · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pancakes for Breakfast.
sign in »

Comments (showing 1-11 of 11) (11 new)

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Crystal Marcos Very good point on the ending!


Kathryn Crystal wrote: "Very good point on the ending!"

Well, I just felt so bad for those poor people not getting to eat their yummy pancakes! ;->


Crystal Marcos Kathryn wrote: "Crystal wrote: "Very good point on the ending!"

Well, I just felt so bad for those poor people not getting to eat their yummy pancakes! ;->"


Lol, I hope they made more and she helped make them! That would have been great as an additional couple pages.


Kathryn Crystal wrote: "Lol, I hope they made more and she helped make them! That would have been great as an additional couple pages. ."

Love that ending! No wonder you are a writer! ;-)


Crystal Marcos Kathryn wrote: "Crystal wrote: "Lol, I hope they made more and she helped make them! That would have been great as an additional couple pages. ."

Love that ending! No wonder you are a writer! ;-)"


=) Thanks =)


Lisa Vegan Oh, the end sounds mean. I'm intrigued though; I do have this on my to-read shelf. Which is soon to be culled, I hope. It's close to the 5,000 book mark and I really don't want it to get larger. But, then for every book on there will have to be a book culled/taken off. And I already have too little time as it is to read.


Crystal Marcos Lisa wrote: "Oh, the end sounds mean. I'm intrigued though; I do have this on my to-read shelf. Which is soon to be culled, I hope. It's close to the 5,000 book mark and I really don't want it to get larger. Bu..."

That is a lot of books! I know what you mean about time though. As I have mentioned before, I read many more than I have a chance to review. I think I will start star rating some and perhaps write a short review.

As for Pancakes for Breakfast, I think it really was a super cute read and I believe you will enjoy the cat and dog.


Lisa Vegan Crystal, I would love it if you start rated the ones you don't review. And if you write one or two sentences when you can, even better.


Crystal Marcos Lisa wrote: "Crystal, I would love it if you start rated the ones you don't review. And if you write one or two sentences when you can, even better."

I will definitely try it out. Thanks for valuing my opinion. =)


message 10: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Vegan Thanks, Crystal. I appreciate it. And, yes, I do. And Kaylee's too. :-)


Crystal Marcos Lisa wrote: "Thanks, Crystal. I appreciate it. And, yes, I do. And Kaylee's too. :-)"

=)


back to top