Heidi's Reviews > Child of Mine: Feeding with Love and Good Sense, Revised and Updated Edition

Child of Mine by Ellyn Satter

F 50x66
Apr 01, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: book-group, heidi-books-read-in-2011, non-fiction, parenting
Read from April 12 to May 02, 2011

I had a hard time deciding how many stars to give this book as I still haven't decided my opinion of it yet. Some things I agree with, some things I disagree with, and some I'm not sure yet. Satter believes children know how much food they need to eat and how to eat a balanced diet. Her philosophy is that parents are responsible for offering healthy, nutritious, balanced meals and snacks at regular times each day. Children are responsible for how much they eat of what is offered, and whether they eat anything of what is offered. Satter believes parents should not pressure their children to eat or limit how much children eat. She believes children should be able to eat as much as they want of whatever is offered and that they should not be permitted to eat between meals/snacks. The book has chapters dealing specifically with infants, toddlers, preschoolers, breastfeeding, and formula-feeding. Satter includes some great information on nutrition and meal-planning and why it is important to eat sugar (simple carbohydrates), starches (complex carbohydrates), protein, and some fat in meals. Satter has a unique take on how to handle sweets, and I have not yet decided whether or not I agree with her.

My main issues with the book are 1) her claim that you are controlling and cruel if you don't offer your child a snack between meals 2) her belief that you should not limit how much your child eats of anything (I really don't want my child to have unlimited strawberries or beans, for example, because I only have a limited amount of strawberries that has to last for so many meals, and I have to change the diapers) and 3) I disagree with some of the info about feeding babies, especially sleepy newborns. I believe sleepy newborns do sometimes need to be waken up to eat and parents need to do whatever necessary to keep them awake long enough for them to eat enough. I think it is easy to fall into the trap of not feeding them enough when they are so sleepy which can lead to other complications.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Child of Mine.