Kendra's Reviews > The Tudor Secret

The Tudor Secret by C.W. Gortner

1976807
Apr 01, 11

Read in February, 2011

I won and received a copy of this book from the Goodreads Firstreads program. The book is about Brendan Prescott, a spy during the reign of King Edward VI in 1553. An orphan, Brendan comes from an obscure background to be brought up in the Dudley household as a servant and is ridiculed and persecuted by the Dudley brothers. Lord Dudley, Duke of Northumberland, holds considerable power in the kingdom, and the family is plotting for more. When Lady Dudley summons Brendan to court to act as Lord Robert Dudley's squire, Brendan leaves the only home he's known to enter a world of peril and deceit. Met in the courtyard of the castle at Whitehall by the Master Undersecretary Cecil, Brendan is plunged into a life of espionage in the service of Elizabeth, future queen. Though he blunders his way through his duties as a squire and secret missions as a spy, his heart is true to Elizabeth and her cause, and he learns much. He finds love and the secret to his own background in this exciting tale of suspense.

I enjoyed reading this book--the writing flowed and the story captivated. There was very little foul language, and the little I noticed could have been avoided. The Dudley men had no respect for women, and hopefully the author identifies himself more with Brendan, who had a greater respect for the gender. The romance was a little too sudden, though, and there was a love scene that could have been skipped--though the description was minimal, I could have done without it entirely. There need not be such description in a love story, and the best love stories are more about sacrifice and constancy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tudor Secret.