Meg's Reviews > How to Love an American Man: A True Story

How to Love an American Man by Kristine Gasbarre

Aug 12, 11

bookshelves: sent-for-review, memoir, read-in-2011, non-fiction
Read from April 10 to 11, 2011

Kristine Gasbarre’s How To Love An American Man is a book that emotionally socked me in the stomach in a way that few books ever have. Gasbarre’s true look at her grandparents’ marriage -- and what may have gone awry in her own love life -- was emotionally wrenching and unique.

In a word, I found this book invigorating. It’s not about a dysfunctional family, for one. Krissy has no qualms about spending the day with her grandmother, escorting her to doctor’s appointments before they sit down to talk about Kris’ plans and fears. As someone who is also close to my grandparents, I saw shades of my own relationship with my grandmothers in Gloria and Krissy’s chats. And it’s so rare to read about a happy family, isn’t it? The Gasbarre clan not only works but flourishes, leaning on one another through everything. It was heartwarming.

How To Love An American Man is framed around Gloria’s advice on becoming a strong, independent and worthwhile woman, and it’s not just about finding a husband (though she would certainly wish that for her granddaughter). Gloria is the scene-stealer in every chapter, doling out words of wisdom on marriages as partnerships and being the sort of woman you would be proud to know yourself. I loved that Krissy took her grandma seriously, treasuring her thoughts -- and I also loved that, despite the somber tone echoing the Gasbarre family’s grief over losing their patriarch, the memoir never becomes maudlin.

On the contrary: it feels upbeat. And hopeful. And like, no matter what happens, Krissy will be able to savor the time she’s spent with her loved ones and become a better person for it. She certainly seems to have evolved from start to close, and that’s something I crave in my reading life: lessons learned.

Oh, yes -- and there’s the love interest. Several, actually, but the most prominent would be Dr. Christopher, a local MD who dates Krissy briefly before hiring her instead. The whole will-they-or-won’t-they vibe, which was electric, had me craving to know the outcome . . . even though I wasn’t sure I would be pleased with the end result. Though self-centered, Chris did seem like a decent man -- and I wanted him to be It for Krissy. Their relationship seemed well-drawn and realistic.

Read over a very busy weekend in which I snatched as much time as I could to crack its spine, How To Love An American Man is a stellar debut from Gasbarre that I would firmly recommend -- especially to twenty-somethings and their mothers. It’s a powerful and lyrical look at family, love and commitment, and I’m dying to get my hands on Gasbarre’s follow-up -- already in the works.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Love an American Man.

04/10/2011 page 143
47.0% "Tearing through this one and really, really relating to author. Not usually much of a memoir-reader, but I'm completely hooked."
04/11/2011 page 247
81.0% 2 comments
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jennifer Almost finished and just love it. Beautiful. Your review made me want to read it, so thank you! :)

message 2: by Heroine (new) - added it

Heroine Addict Your review has me dying to pick up this book - family relations between women are so important to me. After reading your review, I'm really missing my late grandma! Very excited to get this one, so thanks!

message 3: by Meg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Meg Jennifer: So glad you enjoyed it! It's definitely one of my favorites.

Heroine: Hope you get to pick it up soon! Such a great, well-written story.