Joanne's Reviews > Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

Apr 01, 11

Read in March, 2011

This is truly a remarkable book about a remarkable true story. It follows the life of Louis Zamperini from an Olympic runner in the 1930’s to an Army Air Force bombardier to a POW in a Japanese camp and his life after the war. It is an amazing story but it is the detail that Laura Hillenbrand put into this book that made it hard to put down. Through interviews, letters, news clippings etc. she makes sure everything that is written is fully documented. This is so important because the story is almost too horrible to believe. I had known that the POW’s in Japan were treated inhumanly but the descriptions in this book were very difficult to read. I did get bogged down a bit when she was describing a lot of the planes and guns and how everything worked but that is just me. I also saw how important it was to include that since the reader would then have a much better understanding of all the situations. This is really a page turner and I highly recommend to everyone, especially anyone interested in World War II stories.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unbroken.