Jill's Reviews > The Year We Left Home

The Year We Left Home by Jean Thompson

Jun 08, 11

bookshelves: absolutely-incredible, audible, book-club-picks
Recommended for: EVERYONE who can read! And if you can't, get the audio!
Read from May 18 to June 08, 2011

This is absolutely the best book I've read since July 6, 2009 when I read "The Help." How can I say enough about this book without saying too much? It takes place over a 30-year time span, beginning right after the Vietnam War ended and spanning through 2004. It follows 1 extended branch of family that originated, and ended up back in, Iowa. What makes the book special is the way it's structured. You get a very good feel for each character as the book moves and circles back to each of them. But as their story in that particular year gets going, Thompson almost.....halts the story and starts in with someone else. Then when the character is picked back up in 50 pages or so, it's years later and you have to either accept that you don't know what happened at the end of their last snippet, or draw from the clues that Thompson leaves scattered around like breadcrumbs.

It's brilliant. She's amazing. I'm adding all over her books immediately to my to-read list. Everyone needs to read "The Year We Left Home."
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Year We Left Home.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pam is it worth a nook purchase good?

Jill YES

message 3: by Pam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pam Ok!

message 4: by Catherine (new) - added it

Catherine I'm glad I just read your review. I don't usually read books that are written so detailed, but it's interesting enough for me to keep going. Your review has motivated me.

Jill Aw shucks