Leighanne's Reviews > Unfinished Business: One Man's Extraordinary Year of Trying to Do the Right Things

Unfinished Business by Lee Kravitz
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unfinished Business.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Leighanne This book was a gift. I love the premise and it has given me pause to think about things I have left finished in my own life. It has also inspired me to renew weekly correspondence with my great-aunt, the last living sibling of my grandmother, and a woman whose grace and humility has inspired me. I always mean to write her but have let the busy-ness of life interfere too often.
That being said, there was something deeply disturbing to me about the author's perspective and ultimate revelation. He is a much smarter person than I am, and obviously a better writer. But it bothered me that even while he was reaching out to others his main focus was on himself. He did a lot of bragging-about traveling, athletics, past relationships. I couldn't help but think that most of his problems were due to the fact that his focus for his entire life was himself.
The book was also quite "faith-y." In a general, meaningless sort of way. He's Jewish, his good friend is an orthodox monk, he mentions Buddhism, transcendentalism, and quotes the New Testament. Knowing that Christ is the only way to true peace, I can see why the author never feels comfortable articulating what he actually believes. He's grasping at straws looking for meaning in his life.
I did enjoy parts of the book-particularly the chapters with his aunt Fern and the chapter on his family's possible ties to the mob. Like other reviewers, I was puzzled by the amount of time he spent away from his family to finish his business. But I think that disconnect summarizes my feelings for the book in a nutshell. It shouldn't take a year of traveling away from his family to make a person satisfied with himself.