Martha's Reviews > The Summer I Turned Pretty

The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han

May 27, 12

Read from June 10 to 11, 2011

8 likes · like

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Summer I Turned Pretty.

06/10/2011 page 3
1.0% "Should be a cute, light, summer read." 4 comments
06/11/2011 page 132
48.0% "Conrad is SUCH an arse."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Nina I was thinking about getting this book. 3 stars I was expecting more. What were your likes and dislikes?

message 2: by Martha (last edited May 27, 2012 08:22AM) (new) - added it

Martha I'd definitely recommend it if you're in the Summer-y mood. It's really light and fun and cute, ect.

I had actually fluctuated between a 4 and a 3. But what really seperates a 3 and 4 for me is whether I would re-read it. And after some consideration I came to the conclusion that I probably wouldn't.
Don't get me wrong, I liked it, just didn't love it.
I'll probably read the sequels even.

What I liked about the book was that I really did feel like I was in the setting Han created. I felt the sand between my toes, smelled the ocean. Things like that. (but that might just be because I go to the beach often, haven't decided that yet. x'D)
But that was my favorite thing about the book.
I also liked Jeremiah ~ the "other" guy in the Triangle. He was very sweet, funny, and pretty cute. I also liked Beck. (Lead character's mom's friend.)
Those were my favorite characters.
But the things I didn't like were...
Belly. The lead character. (Really stupid name.) Real name Isabelle.
She was pretty whiny. She complained about EVERYTHING! I literally mean EVERYTHING!!
I could probably rant about her character, but I don't want to spoil you. (I know you and I typically feel the same way about female heroines, so beware! x'D)
She was utterly infatuated with Conrad ~ lead male protagonist.
Who , by the by, is a total ass.
(Excuse the language) But I mean I can't think of a better word at the moment.
He. Is. Such. A. Jerk.
He treats her horribly! And yet, still she loves him. *sigh*
Oh and to make matters worse! Her nickname is "Bells".
(1. Loves a boy who is a total jerk and treats her like crap. 2) Name is Isabelle. 3) Sometimes called "Bells". Sound familiar?)
But anyway! Those are really the only problems I had. Annoying lead female protag. and male protag.

Sorry for this incredibly long essay answer to such a simple question! Had to get that off my chest.
I'll probably be doing a review on YT later this week if you want to get my full thoughts on it. :)

Hope that helped!

message 3: by Nina (last edited Jun 12, 2011 02:37PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Nina Haha you did more than help Martha, thanks a bunch! This story is so Twilight with out the vampires and werewolves. I actually want to read this book just to see how annoyed I get with uhm "Bells". And don't even worry about the long essay. I do it all the time (you know us girls we like to ramble!) I can't wait to see your review on YT later this week!!

Thanks a bunch! :D

Malynda Yeah, I’m not sure why so many people love this book so much. Like you, I just liked it. Also, like you, I didn’t really care for any of the characters. They were all pretty annoying.

Great review, Martha!

Lisa I felt pretty much exactly the same way about this book! I "liked" it but I didn't see what all the fuss was about. And I too hated Conrad and Belly.

message 6: by Martha (new) - added it

Martha Malynda: I guess I can understand why a lot of people really adore it ~ to an extent ~ but I just honestly couldn't for the life of me like Conrad or Belly; and I think that's pretty essential for enjoying the story more thoroughly.
Thanks!

Lisa: Awesomesauce. I can't understand how people do like them. x'D

Melannie :) Ohmigod Martha! please highfive my hand! your review is the glorious truth, unalterated, real, and honest truth.

I hated, HATED the leads too, Belly was OH SO ANNOYING and Conrad was a jerk with no personality (you could tell from the maybe 18 words he said in the whole book) I just DON'T UNDERSTAND how can this love be epic, if there's just no love at all! just a huge crush from a pathetic girl to a big jackass. :/

Everything else was okay, but Belly and Conrad ruined the whole story for me ):

message 8: by Melannie :) (last edited Jun 29, 2011 01:02PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Melannie :) Nina wrote: "Haha you did more than help Martha, thanks a bunch! This story is so Twilight with out the vampires and werewolves. I actually want to read this book just to see how annoyed I get with uhm "Bells"...."

That's exactly how I defined "Belly" in my review...
"Bella" Swan's mini-me.

Urgh even their "names" are the same :/

message 9: by Martha (new) - added it

Martha Melannie: *HIGH-FIVES sporadically at screen* x'D
THANK-YOU. THANK-YOU. THANK-YOU.
I just read your review, and I agree with literally everything you said; particularly the part where you said something about how utterly HORRIBLE Belly is towards her mom ~ the one redeeming character in the whole entire book, in my opinion.
And as far as Conrad goes...HATE ...just pure and simple. He. Is. A. Jerk. And even the part where it is revealed as to why he is a jerk, it made no sense!! He should've been trying to act as normal as possible, not the latter. (Proving the jerk theory that much more)
You've said it all; Pathetic Girl + Big Jackass = a romance doomed.

message 10: by Melannie :) (last edited Jun 29, 2011 12:56PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Melannie :) *highfives* *fist bumps* hahaha

Oh Jeez, It's a relief to finally find some people that understand my concern with these books,
It could have gone straight to my favorite list if only the leading characters could have been a little (okay, A LOT) more mature! I mean the way they handle their problems shows that they are no more than spoiled little jerks that have no consideration towards anyone but themselves :\

such a waste of the perfect setting, and beautiful writting! it doesnt matter if you just can't connect with the main characters and their "romance" ):

message 11: by JD (new)

JD Switz You just made me want to read this because of your review, especially of Conrad, who is a character that a lot of readers seem to love. Can't wait to leave my own review!

message 12: by Laura Elisa (new) - added it

Laura Elisa What thing that i really dislike is whiny lead characters. So after this I think this is not for me :3 haha thanks for your review!