Stephen Fahrig's Reviews > The Gospel According to the Simpsons

The Gospel According to the Simpsons by Mark I. Pinsky

M 50x66
Jun 01, 2007

Those who think of "The Simpsons" as just another cyncical, post-modern TV show with little redeeming value might want to take a look at this book, in which Mark Pinsky offers ample evidence of the show's spiritual side. One of the things that I have always enjoyed about "The Simpsons" (in addition to its biting satire) is the fact that it, unlike most TV shows and movies that Hollywood sends our way, actually acknowledges the central place that God and religion have in the lives of many Americans. Not only do we regularly see the Simpson family attending church services, but discussions of God and theology regularly occur between the characters - just as they do in real life. Pinksy offers numerous examples of how "The Simpsons" presents religious themes. At some points he overstates his case but overall his book is a helpful tool for shedding light on the spiritual dimension of a popular TV series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gospel According to the Simpsons.