Erinaceina's Reviews > Soulless

Soulless by Gail Carriger

This is a light and frothy book without much depth or substance - but that's not a criticism. I don't think it needed to try to be anything it wasn't. The snarky, comedy-of-manners tone fitted the subject matter perfectly. Alexia's concern with manners (as when she finds the vampire attack which starts the novel rather more rude than frightening) never manages to make her seem like a prig. The secondary characters, such as Professor Tate and Lord Akeldama, were perhaps a bit cliched, but the whole thing bubbled along merrily. Lord Maccon was delightfully growly. The vampires' hive structure was an unusual touch.

There were some steampunk elements, but I think if you were looking for steampunk PNR/UF along the lines of The Iron Duke, you'd be disappointed.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soulless.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dolorosa (new)

Dolorosa One of my friends was reading these a while ago, and they seemed pretty good. I'd be interested to hear what you think.

Erinaceina Dolorosa wrote: "One of my friends was reading these a while ago, and they seemed pretty good. I'd be interested to hear what you think."

I'm about a third of the way through at the moment, and it's good, snarky fun. I'll let you know how I feel about it at the end of the book, and of course you are welcome to borrow it when I'm next down your way.

message 3: by Dolorosa (new)

Dolorosa That would be great! I think it's highly likely I'll be in your part of the world next term, so I could probably pick it up then...

Erinaceina Dolorosa wrote: "That would be great! I think it's highly likely I'll be in your part of the world next term, so I could probably pick it up then..."

Oooh, shiny. Are you thinking of coming to the IMC?

message 5: by Dolorosa (new)

Dolorosa The IMC is crazily expensive, so probably not. But I would like to come just to visit. Lots of ASNaCs are going to be there for the IMC, though, as I'm sure you know.

Erinaceina I know - the price is boggling. Luckily I get admission free. ;) Or will do, when I get a chance to register. My upgrade piece is due in on 27th May,so I'm probably not going to be very sociable in the couple of weeks before that, but I'd love to see you up here. Also, I'm going to try to get down to Cam for some of May Week.