VampireNovelFan's Reviews > The Hollows Insider

The Hollows Insider by Kim Harrison

Jan 07, 12

bookshelves: favorites, reference, urban-fantasy, vampires, shifters, mystery, elves
Read in October, 2011

Ms. Harrison has outdone herself!

I had no idea of what to expect when it came to a world book. I’d surely never read one before, so I was anticipating something fairly close to a textbook, which generally = boring. This was certainly information rich, but boring is was not. In fact, it’s fantastic.

The theme is genius. It kicks off with the Hollows humor we all know and love, instantly drawing you in. It’s basically told from the POV of an innocent bystander of one of Rachel’s spells gone hilariously wrong in her early days as an I.S. Intern. He takes his grudge to the next level and spends time spying and collecting information on our favorite itchy witch and the supporting Hollows characters. He works for the local Inderlander paper and his goal is to expose Rachel. He’s not having an easy time of it which makes things all the more entertaining, so in turn this is how we learn about everything from species facts, character profiles, maps, magic spells, demon curses, recipes, music lyrics and more.

Normally when I crack open a Hollows book I want a new story, but reading about the Hollows world is quite fascinating and surprisingly enough while I already knew some of the facts, I did learn a couple of new things when it came to character insights and spells. It repeats some lines a couple of times depending on the sections, but I didn’t find it annoying. You can tell Harrison really did her homework. She references the smallest things from the previous novels, even Rachel and Ivy’s mistakenly suggestive Yellow Page ad from Book 3. I also liked the clarification of the different magic types between ley line, earth, and demon magic. I wish there was a little more explanation about “wild” magic that the elves typically use, but that didn’t stop my enjoyment one bit.

You can skim or skip sections if you want, or you can take your time and truly absorb the information. It’s definitely an adjustment to have that option for The Hollows.

You pick it up and you really don’t want to put it down. The layout and graphics are very nice to look at which helps a lot. Reluctantly, I couldn’t read it in one sitting being the busy bee that I am, but it was on my mind until I could get back to finishing it. Heck, I want to read it TWICE and you will NEVER hear me say that about a text book!

If you’re an ebook reader, don’t despair. It’s not available in ebook format due to numerous graphics and font variations. I cannot imagine this looking remotely appealing on my kindle, or even on a color e-reader. It’s a reference text and I always find reading those on an ereader to be an awful experience because I often flip back and forth between pages; ebooks just don’t hold up to that for me.

So yes, I found this to be a satisfying read and it no doubt sets the bar extremely high for any other world books I come across. This is highly recommended if you’re a fan of The Hollows, though you will want to be caught up through Pale Demon because there are major spoilers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hollows Insider.

Quotes VampireNovelFan Liked

Kim Harrison
“His attitude, though always bad, has changed since he helped me prep the Pandora charm for Morgan. He thinks I'm falling for her, as ridiculous as that sounds, and he might be tempted to take matters into his hands.”
Kim Harrison, The Hollows Insider

10/28/2011 "My book hath arrived! I can definitely see why this wasn't an ebook. It's a reference book anyway which is never good in ebook form. I hope this won't take too long to read!"
10/29/2011 page 58
19.0% "I was only planning to read a few pages, but I figured I should just go ahead and read the whole chappy. It's so information rich that I think I want to take my time with it."
10/29/2011 page 101
34.0% "Jenks' list of swears was epic."
10/30/2011 page 243
81.0% "I Loled at the letter with Jon eagerly ready to help Trent craft the Pandora Charm, rofl."
10/31/2011 page 269
89.0% ""His attitude, though always bad, has changed since he helped me prep the Pandora charm for Morgan. He thinkgs I'm falling for her, as ridiculous as that sounds, and he might be tempted to tame matters into his hands." -- lol, keep telling yourself that Trenty boy." 6 comments
10/31/2011 page 299
99.0% "I ROFLed at the last Hollows Gazette entry, does that make me bad?"
10/31/2011 page 301
100.0% "Interesting turn of events with that ending."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katie (new) - added it

Katie I JUST ordered this and I believe it should be delivered today! I am so excited for this one and have heard good things! Of course, you understand better than anyone what's it's like to be desperate for anything Hollows :). Glad to hear you liked it!

VampireNovelFan You know me well, Kat!! When readers were telling her how they can't wait for Book 10, Kim said that we'd have Blood Work and the World Book to hold us over, and I didn't believe her. Blood Work didn't do it for me, but the world book certainly can hold me over for a little while longer, lol.

message 3: by delane (new) - added it

delane OK...I'm in...haven't really looked forward to this for some reason but you sold me!

VampireNovelFan Dc13 wrote: "OK...I'm in...haven't really looked forward to this for some reason but you sold me!"

Yeah. There is actually a mention of the storyline in A Perfect Blood so that gave me a chuckle.

Erin *Series Addict* Good review. I want to point out too that an e-book version of this would suck as well because you'd miss out on the huge glow-in-the-dark moon. :) I love that they did that with this one.

VampireNovelFan Erin wrote: "Good review. I want to point out too that an e-book version of this would suck as well because you'd miss out on the huge glow-in-the-dark moon. :) I love that they did that with this one."

Thanks, Erin! The glow in the dark moon is only good for the first edition though.