Nancy Starn's Reviews > The Bear in a Muddy Tutu

The Bear in a Muddy Tutu by Cole Alpaugh

5208809
Apr 04, 11

In a nutshell: loser (thirty-something) guy finds a book on how to become a cult leader and moves out of his mother's house on a quest to cultivate followers. Shower scene flashback is bizarre. Like watching a car crash. Oh, there is an actual car crash later on that is one of the most memorable parts of the book. Also happening, a reporter for a newspaper about to close down goes out on a lead about a bear attack at a golf course. He saves the bear from a messed-up cop and returns it to the traveling circus now being run by the cult leader, after a human cannonball accident.

Sound like a lot is happening? It's all wound around the reporter's missing daughter. But before I commit a spoiler, I'll stop right here and say how much I love this book. I've read other reviews and was pretty cynical going in. I wanted to know more at the end, but the writer has a style of cutting you off throughout the book. He would give wonderful descriptions, then it was like a door being slammed shut. Not in a bad way, but like going out on a first date with a perfect guy and being led to the door in a wonderfully romantic moment, only to have him whisper in your ear and walk away. Two heartbroken thumbs up.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bear in a Muddy Tutu.