Ian GalaDali's Reviews > Laments

Laments by Jan Kochanowski

Oct 24, 11

bookshelves: poel-try, reviews, reviews-5-stars

Place Holder

The poems in this book lament the death of the writer's 13 year old daughter [ETA: It seems that I remembered her age wrongly and that she was actually about 30 months old.].

They are some of the saddest things I have ever read or contemplated.

3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Laments.

Chris Gould I think all of them refer to his daughter's death, right?

message 2: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian GalaDali I haven't read this in full yet. I bought it after being blown away by the one poem that was published in a magazine or newspaper.

message 3: by Mmars (new)

Mmars I was curious and able to download in Kindle. Quick read. Interesting that I did this on Easter. I'll explain later. Yes. These are laments on the death of his daughter. She was only 30 months old according to one of the laments and the intro by a Berkeley Prof. He exhibits various stages of grief. Sadness, anger, and through a dream acceptance and in this case sees his daughter as redeemed (Easter) from a future of mortal inequity. As far's as poetry goes it 's meh but several laments are quite heart wrenching but could also provide solace to grieving parents.

message 4: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian GalaDali I wrote my brief note from memory, so I might be wrong about the age. My memory was that she had developed a fully-fledged child's personality and that that was part of the reason for the level of grief.

That might have occurred because of the age of our own daughters when I read the poem.

message 5: by Mmars (new)

Mmars He was misleading about that in several of the laments. It's possible that her age is unknown. It's poetry after all and though personal, often no more true in fact than fiction.

message 6: by PGR (new) - rated it 5 stars

PGR Nair Indeed they are the most heartbreaking poems I have read too. Glad of similar sentiments here.