Yolanda Sfetsos's Reviews > Skulls

Skulls by Tim Marquitz

Apr 17, 11

bookshelves: horror, ya-contemporary, kindle
Read from April 14 to 17, 2011 — I own a copy

I was intrigued by the concept of this story, and the cover's super creepy too. I also found myself totally engrossed in Skulls, as soon as I got started.

Jacob doesn't live a very happy or caring life. His father and stepmother don't have any time for him. The only things they care about are drinking, spending time at the bar, and making a mess of their trailer home so they can make Jacob clean it up. That's pretty much all his life involves--cleaning after his parents, waiting to find out what other chores he's expected to do, and then putting up with his father's punishments.

At least he's got Cass. The girl he likes to spend time with. At least, at the end of the day, he can sneak out and visit her. Even if they seem to be from two different worlds, they enjoy being together and spending time with each other. Being with Cass helps Jacob get through the other crap in his life.

Until he stumbles on a bunker in the woods. A bunker filled with shiny, human skulls. Each with their own frightening tale of misery, fear, and death. After witnessing what one of these skulls can show him, Jacob becomes obsessed. Now, instead of sneaking out to see Cass, he longs to sneak out to the bunker so he can spy on another dead soul's last moments of life. It becomes so all-consuming that his life starts to spin out of control. All of a sudden he's paranoid about everyone, his friends think he's on something, Cass can't understand what's changing in him, and his father's had just about enough of him.

The skulls eventually become his only concern, leading him closer to a killer still lurking in the woods, and the loss of his sanity...

Skulls is a very creepy book that kept me guessing. The tension is wound so tight I kept expecting the worse case scenario at every step. And that's the awesome thing about this book, just when you think things can't get any worse for Jacob, they do. There's a very surprising conclusion to Jacob's obsessive behaviour over the skulls, and the path he decides to take.

I had a great time reading this story, and really enjoyed it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Skulls.

04/10/2011
5.0% "Cool start!"
04/16/2011
36.0% "Ooooh, very creepy story. Really enjoying it! :)"
04/16/2011
100.0% "Just finished this book today! What a great & very dark story. Will write my review soon..."
show 1 hidden update…