Tanya W's Reviews > The Forbidden Schoolhouse: The True and Dramatic Story of Prudence Crandall and Her Students

The Forbidden Schoolhouse by Suzanne Jurmain

1190762
Mar 31, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction, inspiring
Read in March, 2011

I LOVED this book. It tells such a great story of a very brave woman who dared to open her elite boarding school to young ladies of color. She faced tremendous opposition and danger, but stood by her resolve. With the help of others who championed the cause of civil rights, she left her mark. I'm absolutely amazed... it's a story I want to share with my children... one I think everyone could benefit from reading. I am in wonder at the courage required of many who lived before us... those who felt like we do at a time that it was dangerous to believe in a brotherhood on this earth that extends to every person. It's hard to imagine living in such unenlightened times.

This book is written for young adults and so it's a very easy, quick read. It has a lot of interesting historical pictures and facts as well.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forbidden Schoolhouse.

Iskreads I agree with you!! It was an amazing book ready to be share with everyone.. Margherita A.